This chutney-like condiment can Served with turkey or game, as a garnish for ice cream, or on a cheese board. Great on a cold turkey sandwich too. I like to sweeten my oatmeal with a heaping tablespoon.
Makes 2 Pints
- 1 cup water
- 1 Lb (about 4 cups) fresh cranberries, washed and picked over for stems
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange (If the rind is skimpy use rind of 2 oranges)
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup quality dry sherry (use something you would serve)
- Bring water to boiling, add cranberries and
simmer until the skins pop open.
- Add sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds
and their juices and simmer together 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add pecans and sherry, stirring
well to combine.
- Spoon into a glass container.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Prepare jars, lids, and bands for processing before starting.
- Uses 4 12oz bags of fresh cranberries
- After adding the sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices cook until it reaches 220*f.
- Spoon into self-sealing sterilized jars. Fill
to within 1/2 inch from top of jar.
- Process jars in boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Label jars and store in cool, dark, dry place.