Cranberries & Pecans in Sherry
This chutney-like condiment can Served with turkey or game, as a garnish for ice cream, or on a cheese board. Great on a cold turkey sandwich too. I like to sweeten my oatmeal with a heaping tablespoon.
Servings: 2 Pints
- 1 cup water
- 1 Lb Fresh cranberries, washed and picked over for stems about 4 cups
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Grated rind and juice of 1 orange If the rind is skimpy use rind of 2 oranges
- 1 Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup quality dry sherry use something you would serve
- Bring water to boiling, add cranberries and simmer until the skins pop open.
- Add sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices and simmer together 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add pecans and sherry, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon into a glass container.
- Keep refrigerated.
Directions for canning (triple recipe):
- Preparation Time: 2 1/2 hrs start to finish.
Tripling this recipe makes 1 case of 1/2 pint jars.
- Prepare jars, lids, and bands for processing before starting.
- After adding the sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices cook until it reaches 220*f.
- Spoon into self-sealing sterilized jars. Fill to within 1/2 inch from top of jar.
- Process jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Label jars and store in cool, dark, dry place.