5 May, 2020
Wild Game Enchiladas
May 5th is National Enchilada Day !
This is a dish I’ve been making for 30 years, it’s a friends and family favorite and most requested recipe. I have used moose, elk, and antelope, I used antelope steaks in the photos your see here. Substituting beef or pork would work, just make sure to cut away as much of the fat as you can before cooking, game meat is very lean.
When choosing a sauce, pick one with lots of flavor, don’t use a mild sauce, the meat overpowers it and the dish will not have a balanced flavor. Las Palmas Medium Enchilada Sauce has proven to be the best for this recipe. When choosing a cheese be sure to spend a little more and get good quality cheese or the flavor will not be as good, and it will be greasy.
The Pampered Chef Carnitas Slow Cooker Seasoning is a new addition to my recipe. Pampered Chef Carnitas Slow Cooker Seasoning gives the meat a deep, delicious flavor while it slow cooks. My husband and I liked the flavor a bit better then cooking it in the enchilada sauce.
The assembly on this is quick and easy but very hands on. My Pampered Chef Toaster Tongs made it easier to handle the hot tortillas without ripping them. When filling the tortillas they will be hot, if your hands can not stand the heat let them cool just enough to touch before rolling.
My favorite memory of serving this was from many years ago, when I brought some antelope to a friends house and made a batch. The kids woofed it down like they had not eaten in weeks. When we were near the end of the meal we told the kids what kind of meat they were eating. One of the boys’ eyes got really big and he had a look on his face like we just told him he ate poo. LOL, he was the one who went back and filled his plate with extra servings.
Wild Game Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker
- 12" Cast Iron Skillet
- Cutting Board
- 9” x 13” Rectangular Baker
- 2 – 3 lbs Any wild game roast
- 2 – 3 Cans red enchilada sauce medium or hot
- 24 Corn Tortillas
- 1-2 lbs Jack cheese good quality
- 1-2 lbs Cheddar cheese good quality
- 3-5 TBSP Pampered Chef Carnitas Slow Cooker Seasoning (or substitute with more enchilada sauce)
- Unsalted Butter
- Olive Oil
- Clean the roast and place in your slow cooker, cover with water and add 1 TBSP of the Pampered Chef Carnitas Slow Cooker Seasoning per each 1/3 cup of water. (or substitute 1 to 1½ cans of enchilada sauce).
- Set to high and cook for 6 – 8 hours, adding water as needed. Do not let the meat dry out.
- 1 to 2 hours before assembling the enchaladas, shred the meat. Add a little water if needed.
- Shred the Cheeses into separate bowls.
- Make and assembly line with tortillas, meat, & cheese
- In 12" Cast Iron Skillet heat 1 stick butter with 1 – 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat
- Heat tortillas in butter & oil mixture, one at a time, on both sides until soft. Move to cutting board and fill with meat and Jack cheese. Roll and place in Baking pan. Repeat until pan is full. Enchiladas should be packed tight.
- Cover enchiladas with enchilada sauce (1½- 2 cans) be generous or the enchaladas will be dry.
- Top with optional ingredients & cheddar cheese
- Bake at 425º until cheese melts and sauce is bubbling, about 30 – 40 minutes.