This unusual condiment can be used with meat or game, or as a garnish for ice cream, or as an
accompaniment to a cheese board. Great on a cold turkey sandwich!
From ‘Country Living’s Country Christmas’ book
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound (approximately 4 cups) fresh cranberries, washed and picked over
- for stems
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Grated rind of I orange and I lemon
- Juice of I orange and 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (quality)
Preparation Time: 2 1/2 hrs start to finish for a triple recipe
# of Servings: 2 Pints
- Prepare two pint jars, lids, and bands for processing.
- Bring water to boiling; add cranberries and
simmer until the skins pop open.
- Add sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds
and their juices and simmer together 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add walnuts and sherry, stirring
well to combine.
- Spoon into self-sealing sterilized jars. Fill
to within 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process jars in boiling water bath
for 15 minutes. Cool. Label jars and store in cool, dark, dry place.
My variation: Tripling this recipe makes 1 case
of 1/2 pint jars & uses an even 4 bags of cranberries. After adding
the sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices I cook this
until it reaches 220*f.