I had to keep Cousin it locked away in a closet for Halloween until he made an appearance with the Jackson Hole Community Band at their annual Concert for the Kids.
Where’s Cousin It?
Pintrest is a fun place to find new ideas. While surfing one day I found easy instructions for making a Cousin It Halloween prop. All you need is:
- A tomato cage
- Plastic Wrap (I added this to keep skirt in place)
- 2 or 3 Hula Skirts
- A wire tie
- Child’s sunglasses
- Tun the tomato cage upside down and bend down the stakes.
- Wrap the cage in plastic wrap.
- Wrap the hula skirts around the cage. If the cage is taller than the skirt is long start low and use wire ties to hold in place.
- Use enough skirts to cover with a full head of ‘hair’. They are only a buck, don’t be stingy.
- Use wire tie to secure ends to top.
- Place hat on top.
- Place glasses appropriately, it can be stuck through the plastic wrap or taped to it.
That’s It! Well, almost….
Keep the cuz out of your cat’s reach. I proudly put my new decoration on the kitchen table and went to get my camera, I came back to a hula mess on the kitchen floor. Herbie could not resist for a minute, he had cousin it on the floor in pieces and was still torturing his prey.
Herbie killed Cousin It!
Hanging from a ceiling hook did the trick.
For pricing and more photos by TetonTrekker go to my page at DeviantArt
This chutney-like condiment can Served with turkey or game, as a garnish for ice cream, or on a cheese board. Great on a cold turkey sandwich too. I like to sweeten my oatmeal with a heaping tablespoon.
Makes 2 Pints
- 1 cup water
- 1 Lb (about 4 cups) fresh cranberries, washed and picked over for stems
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange (If the rind is skimpy use rind of 2 oranges)
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup quality dry sherry (use something you would serve)
- Bring water to boiling, add cranberries and
simmer until the skins pop open.
- Add sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds
and their juices and simmer together 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add pecans and sherry, stirring
well to combine.
- Spoon into a glass container.
- Keep refrigerated.
Directions for canning (triple recipe):
Preparation Time: 2 1/2 hrs start to finish.
Tripling this recipe makes 1 case of 1/2 pint jars.
- Prepare jars, lids, and bands for processing before starting.
- Uses 4 12oz bags of fresh cranberries
- After adding the sugar and grated orange and lemon rinds and their juices cook until it reaches 220*f.
- Spoon into self-sealing sterilized jars. Fill
to within 1/2 inch from top of jar.
- Process jars in boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Label jars and store in cool, dark, dry place.